August 2018: Pin-Sheng Hsaio

Pin-Sheng Hsiao
Technical Services Manager
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP

Pin-Sheng_Hsaio.jpg

Why did you join AALLc?
I joined the AALL in 1999 and during that year I attended my first Conference in Washington DC. It was at the Conerence where I saw a poster for the AALLc dinner. I went to the dinner and I have never left the AALLc. It was very inspiring to meet other librarians, many who have a similar background to mine. My involvement with the  AALLc included many interesting duties. First, I redesigned the website and a year later I took on the job to be the newsletter editor. Subsequently, I was elected President in 2003-2004. I continued to serve after finishing my term, and I was very fortunate to work with the AALLc founder, Mon Yin Lung and David Mao to revise our bylaws in 2006. They are not only great mentors, but also good friends. I look forward to the AALLc meeting every year in order to reunite with my Caucus friends.

What do you do as a law librarian?

My primary area is technical services. Currently, I am the Technical Services Manager at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett in New York. I oversee all aspects of the ILS system, manage electronic resources and supervise a staff of three. I also co-chair the Technology Committee for Law Librarians of Greater New York (LLAGNY) to administer the website and database.

What do you enjoy most about your job?

Libraries have changed dramatically over the years. The change from print to digital format is undoubtedly the most significant, and consequently, this change continues to fuel innovation and bring about new challanges. There is always something new to learn. I feel fortunate that I am in an interesting career where I can continue to grow on the job.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

I enjoy cooking, baking, hiking, music, art, Korean dramas, and attending movies. My annual ritual is making moon cakes for the Moon Festival. I like to share moon cakes with my friends all over the country including some AALLc members. This is a good way for me to keep in touch with my friends.

What is your favorite travel destination (Asia or otherwise!)?

I love hiking, especially in mountainous regions. I enjoy the breath taking views, fresh air and the adventure. The Canadian Rockies is my all-time favorite. My second favorite destination is Vancouver. It is my husband’s hometown. We visit Vancouver about twice a year to see family.

What’s your favorite law-related book and why?

One of my favorite reads is The Trial by Franz Kafka. It is a dark commentary on an unfathomable authoritaive system of justice in which checks and balances are all but lost in a bureaucratic dictatorship.

What one recommendation do you have for new members of AALLc?

Over the years, I have found that the best way to network is through volunteering. I have made a lot of friends and have had good experiences by volunteering. I am happy to say that I am a proud member of AALLc.