June 2018: Julianne Eum

Julianne Eum
Assistant Librarian/Archivist
United States Court of International Trade

Julianne Eum Photo

Why did you join AALLc?

I attended an AALLc Business Luncheon at the suggestion of a friend and colleague, and met several wonderful new law librarians with similar backgrounds and experiences.

What do you do as a law librarian?

As the Assistant Librarian/Archivist of the United States Court of International Trade, I provide a full range of research and other related professional services to Judges, Court personnel and other clientele, and also manage all aspects of development and implementation of the Court's non-case archives program.

What do you enjoy most about your job?
What I appreciate the most about my job is that I am part of a fantastic, supportive team.  Second to that—and the reason I became a law librarian—is that there is never a dull day at work!  Not many professionals can boast the pleasure of being able to approach each day differently.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
Spending time with my family is most important to me and I enjoy every minute I get with them.  Apart from that, with New York City as my playground, there are the usual stand-bys: Dining out, taking in shows, going to the opera and ballet, visiting museums for the latest exhibitions, going to ballgames, volunteering, etc...  And then there's the odd and occasional karaoke marathon.

What is your favorite travel destination (Asia or otherwise!)?
I have enjoyed traveling to various places around the world, but if forced to choose, it would have to be a toss-up between Costa Rica and Greece.

Why did you agree to be featured as AALLc’s MoM?

Ordinarily, I prefer to avoid creating an online footprint, but decided to suspend my characteristic reticence in favor of friendly, professional collegiality.  Besides, it's always nice to put the face to a name.  My hope is that by being profiled as the AALLc’s member of the month, you, Reader, might take the chance to come up and say hello when next we meet.

What one recommendation do you have for new members of AALLc?
Go to the annual meetings!  That said, I won't be in Baltimore for this year's meeting, but I would strongly recommend that if you do, take an occasional break from the sessions and take some time to speak with as many of your colleagues as possible, including those in the exhibitor's hall. There's always a take-away from the conversations you have with your fellow law librarians, nuanced or not.