v.3, no.3, Win 1997

Asian-American
Law Librarians Caucus Newsletter
Volume 3, No. 3, Winter 1997 (ISSN 1084-9068)

In This Issue 
President's Message
Cast Your Vote for Frank
People and Happenings
Program Proposal Died in Committee
Out of the Caucus
From the Editor's Bookshelf
Contact the Editor

Celebrate the Chinese Year of Tiger
Happy New Year

President's Message

Frank Y. Liu

Dear Colleagues:

The results of the survey we conducted last year give us clear guidance on the nature of AALLC as a group and the functions that we should perform.

Advocacy

AALLC should promote diversity in the AALL and to articulate the issues that Asian American law librarians are concerned about. In this regard, I believe that AALLC should take following actions:

1. Maintain on-going dialogues and work closely with other ethnic caucuses within AALL;.

2. Jointly sponsor diversity programs with other caucuses;

3. Encourage AALLC members to participate in diversity related programs;

4. Encourage AALLC members to actively participate in AALL committees and to attend annual AALL membership meetings; and whenever necessary, sponsor resolutions in the annual meetings for the general membership to consider; and

5. Establish liaison with non-law library groups and civic organizations.

Professional Development

In recent years, AALL annual meetings have instituted excellent professional development programs. With the appointment of the Professional Development

Committee, the continuing education programs for law librarians will be enhanced and diversified. There is no need for AALLC to duplicate the work of the AALL. However, AALLC should make input to the Professional Development Committee

to ensure that their programs will meet the needs of AALLC. members.

However, in one area AALLC is in a unique position to assist its member, namely, the leadership development. I believe AALLC can and ought to take following actions.

1. Develop a mentor programs pairing new AALLC members with experienced

law librarian leaders within and without AALLC;.

2. Develop and implement leadership training programs to meet the particular needs for AALLC members.

Adding Value to the AALL

The unique assets of AALLC members include the knowledge in Asian cultures and languages and legal information, and the connections with the Asian societies. With the emerging importance of Asian countries in the political, economical and legal arenas of the world, there is much that AALLC can add value to AALL. One of the missions of AALL is to promote and enhance the value of law libraries to the world. AALLC can assist AALL to fullfill this noble mission.

I believe that AALLC should take the following actions:

1. Continue to sponsor quality AALL annual meeting programs relating to Asian cultural, social, economical and political issues and law; and

2. Assist AALL to promote and enhance the value of law libraries to Asia through sponsoring international conferences, joint research projects and personnel exchange programs; and develop continuing dialogues and relationships with law libraries and law librarians in Asian countries.

Membership Services And Recruitment

AALLC members look forward to attending well planned social functions where they can renew friendship and develop new fellowship and network. Through enlarging their network, they would like to enhance their professional knowledge and improve their stations in the profession. AALLC should take the following actions:

1. Carefully plan the annual dinner associated with the business meeting to ensure the maximum attendance of the membership;

2. Co-sponsor other social functions with other caucuses or groups to enlarge the social contact of AALLC members;

3. Working with the AALL Placement Committee to develop an active placement service for the AALLC members;

4. Publicize the AALLC membership services to recruit the maximum number of AALL members to become AALLC members.

Finally, based on the membership survey results, AALL should develop a long range plan.

These are my thoughts. I welcome your critique, comments and suggestions.

AALLC is as good as the work of its members. I invite your active participation

in the AALLC's activities so as to make it a credible, relevant and beneficial organization for you and AALL. I wish you and your loved ones a most blessed year in 1998. 

Cast Your Vote for Frank

Editorial
As reported in the last issue of the Newsletter, Frank Liu, President of our Caucus, has been nominated as a candidate to the Executive Board of American Association of Law Libraries. Frank's biographical note and candidacy statement can be found from the latest issue of the AALL magazine, i.e., AALL Spectrum, Vol. 2, No. 4 (Dec. 1997): 35.

In his statement, Frank says:

"AALL must broaden its memership scope and recruit members of diverse backgrounds. I shall work toward implementing programs to develop leaders of diverse backgrounds and to sentitize AALL membership and the staff on the issue of diversity faced by American society."
As editor of the Newsletter, I sincerely believe that Frank will be an excellent choice for the AALL Executive Board, who, if elected, will be able to represent interests of our membership from the leadership of the AALL. I urge our members to cast your vote for Frank when the ballot is out! Also, we should all mobilize our colleagues and friends to give their support to Frank. Remember, a Frank victory will be a victory for our Caucus. 

People and Happenings

Wei Luo (LUO@wulaw.wustl.edu)Washington University School of Law Library, St. Louis, MO, just finished a book entitled "The 1997 Criminal Code of the PRC with English Translation and Introduction". The book will be published by William Hein Co. in 1998.

Evelyn M. Campbell, formerly at Norfolk Law Library in Norfolk, Virginia, is now a reference librarian at Hunton & Williams in Richmond, Virginia. 

Program Proposal Died in Committee

In his letter of October 2, 1997, Michael Saint-Onge, Chair of Annual Meeting Program Selection Committee, notified Haibin Hu that the AALL Program Selection Committee could not select our program proposal for next year due to a large number of proposals to choose from. Ours was New Horizons in Asia-Pacific Region: APEC and the United States in the 21st Century. Apparently, the Committee thought that our proposal was not worthwhile against those chosen. 

Out of the Caucus

On December 15, 1997, President Clinton appointed Mr. Bill Lann Lee as the Acting Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights. Lee, son of a Chinese immigrant family and formerly director of the Western Regional Office of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, is the first Asian American to be in charge of the Justice Department's civil rights division. President Clinton hailed Lee's appointment as achievement of the American Dream. 

President Clinton made this appointment despite opposition from a Republican Senate Judiciary Committee which refused to approve Lee's nomination because of Lee's stands on the affirmative action program. 

From the Editor's Bookshelf

The following is a bibliography of recent publications on Asian law or Asian politics. Items are organized by country/region names. 

Asia Generally

Intellectual Property Protection in Asia: Practical Strategies. Hong Kong: Asia Law & Practice, 1996. 

China - Hong Kong

Banking Law in China. By I.A. Tokley and Tina Ravn. Hong Kong: Sweet & Maxwell, 1997.

Freedom's Fall in Hong Kong. Alvin Rabushka. Stanford, CA: Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University, 1997.

Politics and Economics of Hong Kong. S.G. Rioni (ed.). Commack, N.Y.: Nova Science Publishers, 1997. 

India

Foreign Direct Investment in India. By Tony Khindria. Hong Kong: Sweet & Maxwell Asia, 1997.

Trade and Investment in India: Economic Development and Environmental Issues. By Linda S. Spedding; parts I & II contributed by Sudhir Shah & edited by Linda S. Spedding. London: Cameron May, 1997.

Indonesia

Indonesian Company Law: A Translation & Commentary. By Benny S. Tabalujan. Hong Kong: Sweet & Maxwell Asia, 1997.

Bibliography of Material on Indonesian Law in the English Language. Compiled by John Ball. Kingsgrove: Oughtershaw Press, 1996.

Japan

Basic Japanese Laws. Edited by Hiroshi Oda ; Assisted by Sian Stickings. Oxford: Clarendon Press; New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.

Japan: Economic Success and Legal System. Edited by Harald Baum. Hawthorne, NY: Walter De Gruyter, 1997.

Japanese Politics Today : Beyond Karaoke Democracy? Edited by Purnendra Jain, Takashi Inoguchi. New York : St. Martin's Press, 1997.

Local Power in the Japanese State. Muramatsu Michio; Translated by Betsey Scheiner and James White. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1997.

Philippines

The 1987 Philippine Constitution: a Reviewer-Primer. 3rd ed. By Joaquin G. Bernas. Manila: Rex Book Store, Inc., 1997.

Textbook on the Philippine Constitution. By Hector S. De Leon. 1997 ed. Manila: Rex Book Store, Inc., 1997.

Taiwan

Legal protection of children against sexual exploitation in Taiwan: a socio-legal perspective. By Amy H.L. Shee. Brookfield, VT: Ashgate, 1997. 

Contact the Editor

This Newsletter is edited by Haibin Hu, Reference Librarian, Wake Forest University Professional Center Library. For comments or suggestions, please call the editor at (336) 758-6114 or email: haibin_hu@law.wfu.edu.

For technical assistance, please contact the webmaster for the Newsletter Wei Luo (LUO@wulaw.wustl.edu)Washington University School of Law Library, St. Louis, MO.

Last Modified 03-Feb-98 21:53 
webmaster@ls.wustl.edu