Asian-American Law

Librarians Caucus Newsletter

Volume 2, Number 3, Winter 1996

ISSN 1084-9068

Merry Christmas - Happy New Year - Merry Christmas - Happy New Year

Table of Contents

The President's Message

Nancy Cheng

Greetings from the Land of Zion, Salt Lake City, Utah. I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. As 1996 is drawing to an end, it is time to reflect on events passed and to look forward to things yet to come. In no time at all, we will all meet again in Baltimore. I have received quite a few e-mail correspondences from many of you in the last few months. You have demonstrated your enthusiasm in and support for this Caucus. I appreciate and thank you for your suggestions and recommendations. I sincerely hope that I will accomplish "something" for this Caucus during my tenure. Although there have not been many events happening since we last met, I've been filling committee assignments in the last few months. I still need someone to serve on the Nominations Committee. I have asked a few members; I have yet to find a taker. Will anyone volunteer? Preparations are under way for the 1997 AALL annual convention. The Programs Committee is getting ready to sponsor some programs. I have submitted possible dates for our business meeting. I will let you know when the date is finalized. In the meantime, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Welcome, New Members

Haibin Hu

As editor of the Newsletter, I extend our warmest welcome to the following members:

Hau Li
Catalog/Reference Librarian 
Creighton University Law Library

Susan Lee
Technical Services Librarian
U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit Library

Recent Korean Law Publications

Heija Ryoo

While on sabbatical at Seoul National University last year, I came across two major works (in Korean) that might be of interest to those libraries which are collecting Korean legal material. Another title was in English, which was just published this year.

1. Index to Korean Legal Materials (in Korean), edited by the Law Library of Seoul National University, and published by Seoul National University Press, 1975-. 3 v. approx. $250.00 (ISBN for v. 3: 89-7-96-547-5)

This is a comprehensive index to all Korean law-related publications, including mono- graphs, theses and dissertations, journals and serials. Vol. 1 covers materials published from 1945 to 1974, v.2 from 1975 to 1985, and v.3 from 1986 to 1992. The entries are arranged by subject with subdivisions and then by author.

When I was in Seoul, the project for Volume 4 had just begun. The Dean of the law school considered this to be an important publication project, and tried to find a commercial publisher who would work in collaboration with the Law Library to make this available in English and also to publish volume 4. Since the collaboration idea failed, the Law Library started to work on this by itself. There is a possibility, however, of this volume being published in English someday. Through the university's participation in the Global Legal Information Network project sponsored by the Library of Congress, Seoul National University might be contributing this index to the GLIN project.

2. Kings Field 2.0 (in Korean), published by K & B Consulting, 1996. 1 CD-ROM, and approx. $125.00.

This CD-ROM is a full-text database for Korea Supreme Court cases covering from 1976 to 1994. The database can be searched by keyword with boolean capabilities, case number, and act or code name. It also allows downloading of the text into a word processing program.

3. Korean Law in the Global Economy, by Sang-Hyun Song. Seoul, Korea: Bak Young Sa, 1996. 1500 p. Approx. $190.00

This is a collection of various materials on Korean law written in English. In the preface, the author states that "It is in 1983 that any English language book on Korean law was first published in Korea. It was a book edited by me, entitled, 'Introduction to the Law and Legal System of Korea'." In this updated volume, the author again has put together various writings on Korean law. He states that the goals of this book are "to offer the student, professor, scholar, current practitioner or government official, the means to achieve a basic understanding of the Korean law and legal system," and "to build for the students a knowledge of the foundations and the overall operation of the legal system and legal institutions of Korea."

The table of contents lists 18 different subjects covering from Traditional Korean Society and Law; The History and Social and Moral Backdrop; The Structure and Approach of Korean Legal Scholarship; The Constitutional Reforms in Korea; The Korean Legal Institutions; Dispute Resolution; Legal Framework of Doing Business in Korea; Foreign Trade and Exchange; Banking System in Korea; Law and Policy of Securities Regulation in Korea; Korean Tax System; Transfer of Technology and Intellectual Property; Domestic Commercial Law; Administrative and Economic Regulations; Telecommunications Law; Labor Law; Women's Status and Family Law; and Environmental Law.

As the author states, there are not many English language materials on Korean Law, and the majority of works in this book are reprints, excerpts or extracts of earlier works, some published as early as in 1969. There are, however, a number of recent works such as: Special Problems in Studying Korean Law (1995); Prospects for a Seven- Year System of Legal Education in Korea (1995); Hostile Takeovers in Korea: An Analysis of Tender Offer Laws and Regulations and the Market for Corporate Control (1995); The Legal Framework of the U.S. -- Korea Trade Relations under Korean Law (1995); Income Tax Convention Between the Republic of Korea and the United States of America (1995); A Comparison of Intellectual Property Guidelines in the United States and Korea (1995); and Trade and Environment: A Korean Perspective (1995).

$$$$ Help Wanted $$$$

The Caucus needs your financial support to cover the expenses related to its operations, such as publication of the Newsletter. Please send your money to the Treasurer at the address indicated. Your gift is genuinely appreciated.

Jonathan Franklin, AALLC Treasurer 1515 Montclair Place Ann Arbor, MI 48104

What's Hot

by Wei Lou

Beijing Library, the National Library of China, with holdings ranked the 5th largest in the world, has recently made its OPAC accessible to the Internet. The URL for the library is at: http:// nlc.ihw.co.cn/. [The information is in Chinese language only].

China Daily on the Web (http://www. chinadaily.net), which is up-to-the-minute electronic edition of China Daily and Business Weekly, provides news, articles and documents on business, cultural and political events in today's China.

Asian Law Working Group Meeting

Joan Liu

The Asian Law Working Group held its annual meeting at 5:00 pm on July 22,1996, at the Convention Center in Indianapolis. Bill McCloy (University of Washington Law Library) chaired the meeting. Other attendees were Kai-yun Chiu (Baltimore Bar Library), Joan Liu (New York University Law Library), Wei Luo (Southern Illinois University Law Library), Grace Ooi (Columbia University Law Library), Mila Rush (University of Minnesota Law Library), and Nongji Zhang (Harvard University Law Library). Most attendees came to the meeting with both institutional and personal interests in Asian Law.

During the two-hour long meeting, a variety of issues on Asian Law collection were discussed. Mr. McCloy reported news and activities of the Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL) and the Committee on Research Materials for Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA). Some participants introduced briefly new developments in the collection of Asian Law materials at their respective institutions. For instance, Columbia University has explored a new approach to a more effective acquisition of Chinese legal literature and material. A former Chinese visiting scholar from P.R.China, who is familiar with the policy and demands of collection development at Columbia, is appointed as a Columbia representative to help purchase Chinese legal material on a regular basis. Supported by a state grant, University of Washington has began retrospective conversion of the CJK collections to LC. During the process and working with LC, four new LC subclass numbers were created by LC under KNN. After completing a proposal to outsource its Chinese legal material in the collection, Duke Law Library has also started to enact a similar proposal on its Japanese collection by outsourcing. New York University Law Library is actively working on the CJK collections and planning to outsource cataloging in order to match the pace of the Law School's Global Law School Program.

The attendees at the meeting also discussed some new Asian Law resources in both electronic format and paper version. For instance, there is a new CD-ROM product on Japanese Law: Horitsu Hanrei Bunken Joho (Current Legal Information), which is a favorite to the faculty and students at University of Washington Law Library. Some fee-based Internet resources, such as World News Connection (http://wnc. fedworld.gov), has been accepted by many institutions for its fair price and good service. This database covers Asian media sources from East Asia, Near East & South Asia, and China, and includes major legal journals and documents from those regions and countries. Some other issues, such as the Law-on-line (the quality of this database and services) and the RLIN CJK new window's version, were brought into the discussion as well.

At the meeting, Mr. Wei Luo from Southern Illinois University School of Law Library was elected as the incoming Chair of the Asian Law Working Group.

From the Editor's Bookshelf

State and Law in Eastern Asia. Edited by Leslie Palmier. Brookfield, VT: Dartmouth, 1996.

Greater China: Law, Society and Trade. Edited by Alice E-S. Tay and Conita S.C. Leung, foreword by Wang Gungwu. North Ryde, NSW: The Law Book Co., 1995.

The Coming White Minority: California's Eruptions and America's Future. By Dale Maharidge. New York: TimesBooks, 1996.

The COD Needs Your Involvement

Chaio P. Chao

Cossette Sun, Chairwoman of the AALL Committee on Diversity (COD), wishes to encourage more Asian-American law librarians to participate in COD programs in the 1997 AALL Convention in Baltimore. The COD submitted eight proposals to the Education Committee, of which two have been accepted. The accepted programs are: 1. "Navigating Your Career for Optimal Success & Satisfaction: The Art of Smart Moves and Smart Choices;" 2. "Pulling Up the Drawbridge: the High Tech Law Library - Diversity Friend or Foe?" In addition, the COD will co-sponsor with the AALLC a program on "Asian American: The Reticent Minority and Their Paradoxes: An Update."

Another exciting program is a half-day Diversity Summit to be held on Sunday, July 19, 1997 between 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., followed by a reception. Among the invited speakers, Dr. Ching-Chin Chen of Simmons College, a candidate for the 1996 ALA President, is expected to show. The Summit will be divided into three segments. The first is "The History of Diversity in the Profession of Law Librarianship in Relation to the History of the AALL Committee on Diversity." The second is "Workplace Diversity - Participation in Professional Organizations for Personal and Professional Growth." And the third is "Workplace Diversity - Management and Legal Perspectives." Dean Henry Ramssey, of Howard University Law School, will discuss the legal status of affirmation action.

If you need more information about the COD, please check out our home page at: Http:// www. law.vill.edu/~yjones/diversity/, or send e-mail to: Cossette Sun (csun@admin2.mail.co.alameda.ca.us) or Chaio P. Chao (liblwpcc@vaxc.hofstra.edu.)

Application for Caucus Membership

Name______________________________

Institution__________________________

Mailing Address_____________________

Phone No.__________________________

Fax No.____________________________

E-mail_____________________________

[ ] I have enclosed a check of $10, as a voluntary contribution to the Asian- American Law Librarians Caucus. (Please note that your check must be made payable to American Association of Law Libraries, instead of the Caucus. However, you should note on the back of the check "for AALLC".)

Please send your completed application to:

Jonathan Franklin
1515 Montclair Place
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

This web version of AALLC Newslettle is maintained by Wei Luo