v.11, no.2, Mar 2006

Volume 11, No.2, Mar. 2006 (ISSN 1084-9068)

Table of Contents

President's Message

AALL ANNUAL MEETING

NEWS

WORDS FROM THE EDITOR

Swee Berkey

A very warm Aloha to all! 

Thank you for believing that I can take the AALLC helm this year and continue to steer the Caucus towards our shared goals and aspirations. It is indeed an honor and also a challenge for me to make this year a productive one. I emphasize again that I cannot do it alone – I need all your help, especially the committee members, to embark on something exciting and different this year! We don’t have much time to do it, so let’s make the most of the time left before next July.

Committees: First I would like to thank all those members who volunteered to serve on the various committees. Your willingness to contribute to the Caucus reflects the continuing growth and dynamism of our group. I believe you all bring great enthusiasm, commitment, dedication and fresh ideas for moving our Caucus forward in the right direction.

Member Participation: Committee members are not the only ones with ideas and vision for the Caucus – I urge all members to get involved by presenting ideas and suggestions. Good things don’t happen unless we are all actively pursuing and reaching for the same goals.

Newsletter/Listserv: Let’s all try to contribute something to the newsletter and/or listserv –views and opinions, brief news items, interesting articles you would like to share, a favorite website, humor in your everyday library work, ideas to make our work easier, work-related problems and solutions that work, and anything else that would interest our fellow librarians or lead to lively discussions.

2005-2006 Goals: Every year we reevaluate our achievements to see if we have succeeded in fulfilling our goals. Based on the Caucus’ mission, I would like to continue the past president’s focus on communication and promotion because I think these are crucial if we are to grow as an organization. However, I would also like to suggest more concrete ways that we can achieve our mission, obtain the recognition we deserve, and make the Caucus more relevant and meaningful to its members.

1. Get to know one another, include a short bio in the online member directory, attach a favorite photo of yourself and your family. State why you joined the Caucus and state what you have gained from it

2. Develop and foster relationships with vendors, and other organizations and groups that relate to or share our group’s goals and wish to contribute to our mission and activities.

3. Strengthen and stabilize our financial base.

4. Preserve our history as an organization, keep an archive and recognize our founding members.

5. Encourage and support our members who hold offices in other AALL groups and support programs in which our members participate.

Finance: Organizations cannot exist and run programs without the financial support and generosity of its members. Currently, collection of dues is voluntary and intermittent, usually done at the annual meeting or at the time of membership registration. We urge you, if you haven’t already done so, to make a suggested contribution of $10 to the Caucus. It gives us great flexibility in planning our programs and functions if we have sufficient funds. Again, we emphasize that we do not have mandatory membership dues but we rely upon our members’ generosity and commitment to donate a suggested amount to the Caucus to pay for Caucus-related expenses. 

Business Meeting: I would like to thank those who attended the Business meeting in San Antonio. I encourage you to make it a priority to attend the meeting. It is about the only time we can meet face-to-face to exchange ideas and discuss the direction of our Caucus. We also need you to be present to vote on specific agenda items.

Annual Dinner: I know some of you may not be able to attend the business meeting because of conflicts with other functions. However, I urge you to join us at the traditional dinner gathering where we can socialize, exchange ideas, and discuss work or non-work related issues.  This is our chance to put faces to names and look for potential leaders in our organization. Over cups of steaming green tea or scallop soup and plates of sumptuous roast duck, we can relate to one another and discover common interests and aspirations.  

New Members: I extend a warm welcome to our newer members and look forward to more new faces in the future. If we can recruit more members, we will be enriched by the infusion of fresh ideas and increased energy.

Caucus Table: Once again, we will have an exhibit hall table for our Caucus – please consider contributing ideas or items to publicize our Caucus. 

AALL and AALLC: Several questions we should ask are: what do we expect from AALL and how can we contribute to our parent organization while at the same time furthering the goals of our own group? How can we market ourselves as a group? What resources of our parent group can we use to the betterment of our own group and the realization of our own goals? 

The Future of AALLC: I urge you again to actively participate in any way you can, via the newsletter, listserv, etc. and submit your ideas for discussion. Our organization is only as dynamic as its members. Think about the future of our organization – what do you like/dislike about it, what would you like it to do, what is the best way it can serve its members, what should be the future direction of our Caucus?

AALLC Business Meeting Minutes

Time: 5:15 - 6:15 PM, July 17, 2005

Attendees: 20; Miki Scholl, Keiko Okuhara, Bob Hu, Chenglin Liu, Yan Hong, , Swee Berkey, Joy Hanson, Yuxin Li, Han Quyang, Cossette Sun, Pin-Sheng Hsiao, Andrew Evans, Cindy Wong, Masako Patrum, Victoria Williamson, Ming Lu, Joanne She, Wei Luo, Arturo Torres, Wei-yau Huang

Actions: The meeting was called to order at 5:20 p.m. President Robert Hu presided over the meeting.

I. Approval of the Minutes of the 2004 Business Meeting 

The minutes of the 2004 Business Meeting were approved. These were previously posted on the Caucus’s Web site as part of the October 2004 newsletter.

II. Treasurer’s Report

The Treasurer, Yuan Yao, has left AALL and subsequently resigned from his position. (The president reported on July 28, 2005 that the balance came to a total of $722.42.)

III. Committee Reports 

Membership Committee (Keiko Okuhara, chair) 

Three new members were added in 2004.  A welcome letter is automatically issued when the online membership application form is filled out.  AALLC Mentoring Program Guidelines , AALLC Mentoring Program Application Form, and AALLC Mentoring Program Evaluation Form have been added to the website. So far, there are two pairs.

Program Committee (Cossette Sun, chair)

The two programs Cossette T. Sun submitted was rejected. Yan Hong’s program was accepted, K-5 Envisioning Insurance Law Research, Wednesday, July 20, 2005, 2:15 P.M. 

Communications and Publicity Committee (Yumin Jiang, chair)

Some members were inadvertently dropped from the listserv. The listserv owner will look into the problem. 

Bylaws Committee (David Mao, chair): No report was issued. 

Nomination Committee (Yan Hong, chair)

President-Elect, Frank Bae retired in March and Secretary/Treasurer, Yao Yuan has left AALL. Nomination Committee nominated Swee Berkey as President , Chenglin Liu as vice president/president elect and Lu Tuan Nguyen as Secretary/Treasurer. 

Procedure Manual Committee (Pin-Sheng Hsiao, chair) 

The Procedure Manual Committee finished a draft of the first part of the manual, which concerns Officers and Executive Committee. The second part, Committees will be continued in 2005/2006. The projected completion time is July, 2006.

IV. Elections

Swee Berkey was unanimously elected as President for a one-year term. Chenglin Liu was elected as Vice President/President-Elect. Lu Tuan Nguyen was elected as Secretary/Treasurer. 

V. New Business 

Next year’s program: Cossette T. Sun suggested 2 programs for next year.

Outstanding members award: Chenglin Liu suggested the Caucus should set up an award to express appreciation for an outstanding member. Other members responded that the Caucus is not mature enough to give out its own award. The Caucus should focus on participating in the awards program in AALL. We concluded that it will be discussed at a future date.

VI. Adjournment 

The meeting adjourned at approximately 6:20 PM.

MEMBERSHIP NEWS

Yan Hong, Insurance Law Librarian for the University of Connecticut School of Law Library will be coordinating a Health Insurance Law Program in China.

Bill McCloy, Assistant Librarian for East Asian Law at the University of Washington’s Gallagher Law Library visited Seoul, Korea from October 16-31, 2005.  The first week he visited libraries and bookstores, including the Supreme Court Library of Korea and the National Assembly Library.  The second week he attended a workshop for Korean Studies Librarians sponsored by the Korea Foundation and the National Library of Korea.

Joanne She, who is Coordinator of Legislative Digitalization Project and works for the Department of Justice Libraries received a "Outstanding Accomplishments Award" from  Federal Asian Pacific American Council on September 24, 2005 in Virginia.

The  Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC) is a national  organization that promotes equal employment  opportunity and culture diversity, and provides leadership training for Asian Pacific Americans in the  Federal and District of Columbia Governments. 

Congratulations to Joanne!

Words from the Editor

Greetings to all near and far as we (hopefully) make our way towards Spring.  

First of all, yes, it’s true! There was no October newsletter in 2005, and this is the first newsletter of 2006.  

Upon discussion with Swee, it was decided we would try to move the AALLC newsletter to a two issue format, instead of a three issue format, per year. Therefore, this will be Volume 10, Number 2, and we’ll start a new volume with a second issue later this year.  

I’ll state up front that a lot of this was the “Editor’s” idea; and if the AALLC body strikes up in a strong dissent, I’m definitely open to changing it back to a three issue format, but please bear with me as I explain as follows: 

1. It seems to me that many of us already belong to other “Special Sections” of AALL where we already receive newsletters; and, like many of the others, AALLC often runs some of the same features. The reasons for this is fairly straightforward: a periodic solicitation of articles that is put out has not been consistently answered mainly because I think the majority – if not all of us – are fairly stretched to the limits at our jobs.  Therefore, while I get some great news from time to time about some of our members, a lot of times I end up placing material in either about an upcoming/past Annual Meeting and/or inserting material that’s likely in another newsletter.

I will say that I do get occasional requests for more “features” types of things to run in the Newsletter – say, on Asian Laws, for example. I’ll confess that I’m not the best person to perhaps talk about such things, given that my specialty right now is teaching Legal Research and Government Documents. When “features” have run in the past, it’s essentially been something I’ve been able to come up with from seeing an idea spark off something I’ve read and/or glanced somewhere, and I’ve had the time at that moment to follow through.

However, if someone out there in AALLC has a great idea of something to run within AALLC – and is willing to commit to being a regular contributor to write it – then that would be great!

2. I think that perhaps one of the “best” uses of the newsletter would be to report on things like the Business Meeting and/or probable programs for AALL, making it more of an “archival” record of what AALLC is doing at a certain point in time, or what its long range goals are.

3. I think that if the group wishes to “share” news with each other – we’ve already got a perfect forum that we should probably use more – the AALLC listserv. We tend to have a few exchanges on it, but I think, if used properly, we could perhaps strive to use it more as a “community sounding board” for AALLC members to exchange ideas, propose initiatives, etc. For example, we had some great member news for this issue that could have (and probably should have) gone out months ago, so that all of us could react at that moment with our congratulations, our well wishes, and our inquisitive minds.

Personally, I love Swee’s ideas about getting all of us more involved in AALLC and our discussions. And I don’t discount the idea completely that all of us, given the time and the resources, would love to contribute more to AALLC and its growth.

But at times I think “real life” gets in the way of our best intentions, and I think if we try to make a concerted effort to move towards perhaps building discussion on the listserv – or if folks have other ways and/or ideas, as Swee stated in her President’s message – to have AALLC grow, that would be most welcome.  And for the best feedback, I think a lot of the discussion could be had on the listserv.

So, please, email me your thoughts and/or suggestions…tell me it’s a great / horrible / modest ideal or that we should take it back to three issues a year. IF we get commitments from folks to contribute columns on a regular basis that would be wonderful – and insure that we can make the newsletter an interesting unique read for all of us. As it stands, I think right now as a group, the newsletter as a simple reporting device is its most valued asset. Of course, there isn’t anything wrong with that, and perhaps it’s what most of us believe should stand as the function of the Newsletter, but I’m curious as to see what comments other members may have.

Ultimately, whether or not changes will be up to the will of the Caucus, and its input. An key component of an editor’s job, from my viewpoint, is to sift through what’s been given to him/her and report back to the membership.  I suppose in the end, I am turning once again to the group as a whole and asking it to redefine what it would like out of a newsletter.

To contact the editor, please send email to Raquel Gabriel
NEWSLETTER | AALLC | AALLNET