v.8, no.3, Feb 2004

Volume 8 No.3, February 2004 (ISSN 1084-9068)

Table of Contents

President's Message

FEATURES

NEWS

WORDS FROM THE EDITOR

Pin-sheng Hsiao

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year. As you know, it is the Chinese year of the Monkey and we are hoping for good fortune and prosperity. This will be a busy year for the Caucus. We have already accomplished some of our projected goals, and in the following months, there is more work to be done.

It is gratifying to see that the two programs we sponsored for this year's AALL conference in Boston are listed in the December 2003 issue ofAALL Spectrum. I encourage all of you to attend both sessions. We also made a contribution to the George Strait Minority Scholarship fund. Please thank David Mao and Yuan Yao for making this happen. You will find below a copy of the acknowledgement letter from AALL headquarters.

In addition, our Bylaws Committee has been working very hard to revise our bylaws. A draft version has been made, and many issues are under discussion right now. Hopefully, we will have a published draft of the bylaws in the June issue of Asian Law Link for membership review. After this, we can vote on it at the Boston meeting, and subsequently send it to the AALL Bylaws Committee for their formal approval. We are also thinking about creating a procedures manual for our officers and committee members. This procedures manual is intended to detail and describe each officer’s and committee member’s duties.

Our Web page is currently being updated, and thanks to our Webmaster, Jessie Tam, the site will be more comprehensive. Please take time to check out our Web site and give us some feedback.

Finally, I am looking for someone who either currently resides/works in Boston or who is familiar with the city to help me find a quality restaurant specializing in Asian cuisine for our annual banquet. If you know a good restaurant in Boston or you are willing to help me find a restaurant, please email me at phsiao@reedsmith.com or call me at 215-851-1414.

Victoria Williamson

Career Path to Law Librarianship

Editor’s note: Caucus member Victoria Williamson, reference librarian at the University of La Verne College Law Library in Ontario, California, published the following article in the September 2003 issue of the SCALL Newsletter (volume 31, number 1). She has graciously allowed us to reprint the article here as it matches  our ongoing feature well.

Getting to Know You: Lu Tuan Nguyen

When I first met Lu Tuan Nguyen, the one thing that stuck in my head was his warm and welcoming smile. He showed a natural ability to put me at ease and to feel comfortable to chat with him. I actually did feel comfortable enough that I asked him to be the subject of the “Getting to Know You” article for this issue of our newsletter. Behind Lu’s warm and welcoming smile is an impressive list of prior work experiences, credentials and an impressive range of professional associations’ involvement. I have to admit that it was quite a challenge for me to write up a profile that encapsulates his entire work history and volunteering activities without leaving out the interesting, warm and caring personality of Lu.

Lu Tuan Nguyen, a 1996-97 SCALL Scholarship recipient, is a graduate of San Jose State University School of Library and Information Science. He earned his J.D. from Northrop University School of Law and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science from UCLA.

Lu is what I call a full-fledged “24/7 reference librarian,” he virtually lives and breaths reference work 24 hours, 7 days a week. He works full-time as a reference librarian at the Orange County Public Law Library, serves as a “pool librarian” providing professional reference library services at Cal. State University in Fullerton, and works part-time as a reference librarian at Western State University College of Law Library.

Lu’s law librarian career had its beginnings at the Northrop University Law Library in Inglewood where he worked as a student assistant helping the librarian at the reference desk with shelving books and loose-leaf filing. From librarian aid to reference librarian, he gained tons of experience handling legal materials and serving the legal information needs of library users both in the academic and public law settings. He has dedicated himself to providing public access to information and assisting the public to find information. His reason for becoming a librarian is, he stated, “Pursuing a goal of making information available freely to the public.” He has focused on his goal consistently not only through his daily work but also by getting involved in various professional organizations namely: ALA, AALL, CLA, SCALL, ABA, LACBA, CALA (Chinese American Librarians Association) and Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity. He has a history of community involvement, which include serving as Vice-President of El Camino College Rotary Club in 1978 and as Volunteer in the VITAS, hospice program in 1998. He received two California State Grants: the California Library Grant (1999-2000) while he was attending San Jose State University School of Library and Information Science and the California State Grant A (1979-1981) while he was attending UCLA. In 1985 he received the Delta Theta Phi International Professional Law Fraternity Service Award.

With three reference librarian positions to juggle, mixed in an alphabet soup of professional organizations involvement, and a dab of community service here and there, I wonder where does Lu find the time to pursue his interests in reading, classical music, and yoga?

Lu is a native of Vietnam, “born in the North but raised in the South.” He came to America in 1975 with a spirit filled with awe and gratitude for the opportunity to pursue his education in a free and democratic environment. He has come a long way, from Hanoi to California, and throughout his journey, he has shared his time, knowledge and talents to those in need.

Lu confides that his number one passion in life is “to assist the needy” and that one of his personal interests is “to bring joy and comfort to others.” These words are clearly reflected in Lu’s demeanor, actions and dealings with library patrons, his colleagues, friends and family. For instance, he spent several hours of volunteer work in a nursing home/hospice care and in his local Buddhist Temple. When I asked him to describe the craziest thing that he has ever done outside his professional circle, without any hesitation, he shared: “Attending the training seminar to sell cemetery properties. My grandmother first intended to be buried close to her friends at the Rose Hills Memorial Garden. So, I thought that attending the training would give me knowledge to be helpful to my grandmother and her friendsI did not feel comfortable being a sales counselor at all.”

With an attitude of giving and a natural affinity to helping others, Lu possesses the most important quality of an ideal reference librarian; a genuinely warm and enthusiastic desire to assist and fulfill the information needs of the patrons. From students to faculty, from pro se patrons to judges, Lu gives them the same personal attention and helps them find the information they need. No wonder, he enjoys his work so much that he does it 24/7, or at least it seems that way with his schedule. Getting to know Lu is yet another proof of how our profession can be enriched by a single act of mentoring.

Lu credits Mora Prestinary, Reference Librarian at the Orange County Public Law Library, for encouraging him to pursue a career in law librarianship. He adds: “She told me that I should go to Library School since I enjoy helping patrons find information at the library. She gave me the application package, and encouraged me to apply at the San Jose State University, School of Library and Information Science extension program at California State University in Fullerton. She went to the Library School orientation with me. She also said that she will never give up encouraging me to go to Library School.

Lu’s commitment and dedication to providing access to information for the public and assisting the public to find information places him in an ideal position where he is and sees himself five years from now “At the Orange County Public Law Library as Reference Librarian.”

Committee news

As reported in the last issue, a special bylaws committee has been formed to revise the Caucus’s bylaws. Committee members Mon Yin Lung (chair), David Mao, and Wei-Yau Huang have created a draft bylaws document. The committee hopes to have a draft ready for publication in the June newsletter so that Caucus members will have time to review it before the Boston meeting. The Caucus will then be able to vote on the proposed bylaws during its July business meeting. Once the Caucus approves new bylaws, the bylaws must be forwarded to AALL’s bylaws committee for formal approval. For more information about the association’s bylaws committee, please seewww.aallnet.org/committee/bylaws/bylaws.html.

Caucus treasurer/secretary Yuan Yao reports that the Caucus contributed $255.00 to the George A. Strait Minority Scholarship Endowment. As of December 2003, the association raised about sixty-five thousand dollars toward its overall goal of $100,000.00. The Caucus is very proud of its support for this worthy cause. On behalf of AALL, president Janis Johnston gratefully acknowledged the Caucus’s gift on December 9, 2003 [see letter]

Membership News

Since last August, Mon Yin Lung has been the acting director at Florida International University College of Law Library in Miami, Florida. She expects to serve as acting director until the library’s new director arrives in June. 

For those of you that may not have seen longtime member Heija Ryoo’s message to the Caucus, it is reprinted below: 

Dear AALLC colleagues:

As many of you already know I am retiring at the end of this year (actually tomorrow is my last day of work) after 32+ years at the SIU Law Library.  I wanted to thank you all AALLC members for your support, collegiality, professionalism during the past many years.  Started by a small group of  handful members, AALLC is now a proud professional group that I am so proud of being associated with. AALLC has been very supportive and meaningful during my career and I appreciate all those who made the group so special and meaningful. My belated thank you for giving me a wonderful retirement reception(?), and a surprise beautiful flower bouquet at the AALLC meeting in Seattle in July.

AALLC is going through a transition by involving many talented younger members, and I am sure it will continue to grow by working together with old and new members.

Again, it was wonderful for knowing many of you and for all your support, kindness and good friendship.

My best wishes to you all for a wonderful holiday season and a happy 2004.

Sincerely,

Heija Ryoo

Employment Opportunity

Director of Library Systems/Technical Services

The School of Law Library at Southern Illinois University is accepting applications for Director of Library Systems/Technical Services as an assistant professor in a tenure track position. The library staff includes six professional librarians and eleven civil service support staff. The library is administratively independent and serves a law school faculty of about 30, a law student body of 360, a university community of over 20,000, and the legal community and general public of the entire southern Illinois region. The library holds more than 375,000 volumes and volume-equivalents, uses OCLC and INNOPAC automated systems, and actively incorporates access to electronic materials into its information resources and technological solutions into its daily operations. Further information about the Library and the School is available athttp://www.law.siu.edu/lawlib/index.htm.

QUALIFICATIONS. Required: M.L.S. or equivalent degree from ALA-accredited school completed by time of hire; three to five years technical services experience in academic or research libraries; significant experience using OCLC and integrated library systems; substantial knowledge of all aspects of library technical services operations, AACR2R, LCSH, LC classification, USMARC formats, and OCLC applications and related standards; and excellent interpersonal skills, proficiency in oral and written communication, ability to work effectively both in a team setting and independently, strong service orientation, and organizational and supervisory skills. Preferred: technical services experience in academic law libraries; experience using INNOPAC integrated library system; proficiency with computer applications and experience with web publishing.

RESPONSIBILITIES. Plans, implements, and evaluates use of INNOPAC integrated library system for all aspects of library's operation; coordinates and manages operation of library's Technical Services Department; assists library director in various aspects of overall library administration, including management of acquisitions, short- and long-range planning, formulation of library policies and procedures, and personnel supervision; helps integrate electronic resources and digital texts into the library's collection of information resources. Complete job description available athttp://www.law.siu.edu/lawlib/employment.

AVAILABLE. March 1, 2004. Review of applications begins February 1, 2004 and will continue until the position is filled.

SALARY. Competitive and commensurate with qualifications

TO APPLY. Applications will be accepted by mail or e-mail. A letter of application, résumé, and the names of three references should be sent to:

Frank G. Houdek

Law Library Director and Professor of Law

Southern Illinois University Carbondale

School of Law Library, Mail Code 6803

Carbondale, Illinois 62901

houdek@siu.edu

SIUC is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.

Reference/Electronic Services Librarian

Northeastern University Law Library, Boston, Massachusetts

Job responsibilities include:

Develop, teach, and oversee the Law Library's computer resource training programs including instruction in using computer assisted legal research databases, web based licensed databases and other web technology used by the law school community. Provide reference, research and other bibliographic services, including expert on-line assistance to law school community. Individually and as a team, teach students legal research techniques and strategies for use with print and online tools.  Prepare bibliographies, research guides and other library publications tailored to the research needs of the law school community. Serve as web master for the law library and work with other library staff to maintain the library web pages.  Supervise student representatives who assist with the library computer resource training program. Maintain the library’s electronic database access via the Internet using WAM, Webbridge and other Innovative Interfaces tools. Work with the University Libraries regarding use and maintenance of the electronic resource management system and the online catalog, NuCat. Participate in library collection development and assist the Head of Reader Services to develop department policy, compile statistics, and submit activity reports.

Master's degree in Library and/or Information Science from an A.L.A. accredited graduate school and a J.D. from an A.B.A. accredited law school required. Would consider a candidate with either a J.D. or an MLS, or equivalent, who has significantly completed the graduation requirements for the second graduate degree.

Minimum three to five years' reference librarian experience to include developed expertise in computer-assisted legal information systems, Internet, and web technologies preferred. Demonstrated ability and experience in user training (individual and group instruction) and consulting. Excellent problem solving, written and oral communication skills and good interpersonal skills are a must. Must have high level of motivation, initiative and responsibility. Willingness to work a flexible schedule which may include some evening and weekend hours.

All interested applicants should send resume, cover letter, and three references to: Sue Drisko, Northeastern University Law Library, 400 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115

Words from the Editor

Happy New Year! I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays.  It is hard to believe that almost seven months have passed since our Seattle meeting. The Caucus has been very active this year on the national front; two of our program proposals are slated for the Boston meeting. However, I’d also like to share with everyone what you are doing on the local level—especially if it helps to promote Asian librarians.  Please keep me updated on any news that you have! I’d also like to thank Victoria Williamson for her able assistance in proofreading this edition.

To contact the editor, please send email to David Mao
NEWSLETTER | AALLC | AALLNET