v.1, no.2, Fal 1995

Asian-American Law Librarians Caucus Newsletter

Volume 1, Number 2, Fall 1995

The President's Message

Kai-Yun Chiu

Greetings! I hope that all of you had a wonderful summer.

I think those of you that were able to go to Pittsburgh for the AALL annual meeting will agree with me that our Caucus meeting had a most interesting guest speaker in Professor Pat Chew from University of Pittsburgh Law School, thanks to Frank Liu's efforts. And even the necessitated relocation of meeting room at the end of the meeting could not diminish the enthusiasm for her talk. It was the consensus of those present that Prof. Chew should be invited back as a speaker at one of the AALL programs next year. Look for program announcements in future issues of this Newsletter.

During my drive home from Pittsburgh, I thought about the origin of this Caucus. It was in 1987 during the AALL annual meeting at Chicago when Mon Yin Lung put a notice on the exhibit hall bulletin board calling for a dinner meeting. Interests on the topic of Asian-American law librarianship and a promised sumptuous Chinese dinner attracted about thirty people. A Steering Committee was formed with the duty of drafting a list of Bylaws. Although the name of Asian-American Law Librarians Caucus was not formalized until later, this group has been meeting each year during the AALL annual convention. In addition to a business meeting there were guest speakers, and the meeting was always followed by a delicious ethnic banquet dinner.

In recent years, this Caucus has jointly sponsored educational programs during the AALL annual meetings. I feel strongly that this Caucus has a lot to offer, not just to those law librarians who happen to be Asian-American, but also to any law librarians who are interested in Asian law. Where else can you find such a perfect setting to network and to exchange information and ideas on a subject area so unique?

Over the years I have made many friends through this Caucus that I know I can call on in time of need. If you have not been coming to the Caucus meetings, why not join us next year in Indianapolis. Better still, bring a friend, get involved, and maybe make new friends. I'd like to see this Caucus grow in membership. The success of a membership drive depends very much on the efforts of all of you. Dan Wade has prepared a wonderful brochure which describes the purposes, organization and activities of this Caucus. If you'd like to get copies of this brochure, please let me know.

Being a successor to Paul Fu as President of this Caucus is a big shoe to fill and definitely a hard act to follow. Paul has accomplished a great deal during his presidency. We all owe him a huge"THANK YOU". To all of you, I challenge you to take an active role in the Caucus. Let us work together and make this Caucus a growing, vital, and exciting part of AALL.

The Editor's Word

Haibin Hu

I am glad to present the 2nd issue of the Asian-American Law Librarians Caucus Newsletter to you.

As you will notice, two volunteers, Wei Luo (Southern Illinois University School of Law Library) and Jie Su (Washburn University School of Law Library) have joined the Newsletter Committee since the first issue was published. Congratulations and welcome on board, Wei and Jie!

A special "thank you" is due Jie Su, who single-handedly set up a web page for our Caucus at his institution, from which you can read the Newsletter online. Also deserves recognition is Dan Wade, who has created a brief brochure to promote the Caucus and recruit new members to our organization. In addition, I wish to thank Le-Chi Gallagher (BNA) for taking upon herself to apply for an ISSN number for our Newsletter.

As always, volunteers and assistance to the Newsletter will be most welcome.

AALLC Web Page Available

Haibin Hu

The Asian-American Law Librarians Caucus now has a working home page on the World Wide Web (WWW) at Washburn University School of Law Library in Topeka, Kansas. At present, the web page contains the following items:

• AALLC Newsletter;
  • AALLC information (an introduction to the Caucus);
  • AALLC Membership Directory;
  • AALLC discussion list; and
  • Useful Internet resources related to Asian law and studies.

More resources of interest to law librarians in general, and members of the Caucus in particular, will be put on the web page as time goes by.

To access the web page, you may use a web browser to search the address at: http: //lawlib.wuacc.edu/asianllc/home.html, or you may access the web page by telneting to: lawlib.wuacc.edu, login: aallc. If you need help or have any questions about this web page, you can contact Jie Su at (913) 231- 1088 or e-mail him at: zzsu@acc.wuacc.edu.

People & Events

@ Mrs. Heija B. Ryoo, Head of Technical Services Librarian at Southern Illinois University School of Law Library, has been on sabbatical since August 1, 1995. During the fall, Heija will study Korean law at Seoul National University Law School in Seoul, South Korea, while on sabbatical.

@ Mr. Chin Kim, Professor of Law and Director of the Law Library at California Western School of Law, has recently published the 2nd edition of Korean Law Study Guide. The Guide was published in July 1995 by Cross-Cultural Associates in La Jolla, California.

A Note of Correction

Mon Yin Lung

Due to communication errors, the Asian- American Law Librarians Caucus Directory 1995 failed to designate all who made a financial contribution to the Caucus in 1994. I apologize for this mistake. What follows is a complete listing of those who contributed to the Caucus in 1994:

Pauline M. Aranas, Ellen H. Bull, Chaio Chao, Nancy Cheng, Win-Shin S. Chiang, Kai-Yun Chiu, Connie Deng, Paul S. Fu, Sharon L. Hom, Haibin Hu, Katherine Meng Kenworthy, Chin Kim, Lily Wei-Li Kouo, Dorothy Li, Rou Chia P. Lin, Chan-Shen Lung, Mon Yin Lung, Bill Nazarro, Jin Qian, Rebecca Rungsang, Heija B. Ryoo, Miki Scholl, Bettie Scott, Jack T. Sheng, Cossette T. Sun, Chin-Shih Tang, Lorna Y. Tang, Dan Wade, Grace Win Ling Wong, Irene Wong, and Telle Zoller.

I hope that members will continue to support to the Caucus financially in the future. 

-Worth Reading-

Haibin Hu

During her Pittsburgh presentation at the AALLC meeting, Prof. Pat K. Chew referred to her recent article on Asian Americans. If you are interested to read that article, the full citation is as follows: Asian Americans: the "Reticent" Minority and Their Paradoxes, in volume 36 of William and Mary Law Review, at p1-94 (Oct. 1994).

Asian Law Working Group Meeting

Haibin Hu

The Asian Law Working Group meeting took place at 6pm on Tuesday, July 18, 1995 at the Crawford Room, Pittsburgh Vista Hotel. Bill McCloy, University of Washington, Seattle, chaired the meeting. At present were: Dan Wade (Yale University), Joan Liu (New York University), Clement Lau (University of Baltimore), Mila Rush (University of Minnesota), Telle Zoller (University of Wisconsin-Madison), Jonathan Franklin (University of Michigan), Dennis Sears (Brigham Young University), Lyonette Louis-Jacques (University of Chicago), Wei Luo (Southern Illinois University), Heija B. Ryoo (Southern Illinois University), Mon Yin Lung (University of Kansas), and Rebecca Jane Rungsang (Tilleke & Gibbins, Thailand). The meeting began with the participants introducing themselves and commenting on the Asian law collections at their respective libraries.

To proceed with business, Bill McCloy gave a brief report on recent activities regarding the Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL) and the Committee on Research Materials for Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA). Bill serves as an executive member of CEAL, and attended a meeting of the CEAl in April 1995. Bill expressed an willingness to share this information with anyone interested.

After Bill's remarks, the participants gave regional/country reports on their individual library collections, activities, and concerns, which involved materials on South Asia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, and East Asia. During such reports, Dan Wade mentioned that the Library of Congress had closed down its journal office for information collection in Islamabad, Pakistan. Johnatthan Franklin stated that the University of Michigan Law Library was considering starting a collection of Indonesian law. Joan Liu related that the NYU Law Library might begin to collect Chinese law. Clement Lau said that the University of Baltimore Law Library might develop some Asian law collection. Rebacca Rungsang reported that her firm had opened up an office in Cambodia, and that she would be happy to help law librarians with Cambodian legal sources questions. Bill McCloy pointed out that the University of Washington Law Library had published the Index to Japanese Laws, and that his library was planing to set up a home page for Asian laws (Korea, China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong) on the Internet.

The working group meeting was concluded around 7pm.

Application for Membership

Please include my name in the directory of
    the Asian-American Law Librarians Caucus:

Name_____________________________

Institution__________________________

Mailing Address_____________________

Phone No._________________________

Fax No.__________________________

E-mail____________________________

[   ]  I have enclosed a $10 check, as a
    voluntary contribution, made payable to
    Asian-American Law Librarians Caucus.