February 2020: Daniel Cardwell

Daniel Cardwell
WMU Cooley Law School

Daniel Caldwell

1.  Why did you join AALLc?
As a current law student, I wanted to expand my professional development and learn more about the field of law librarianship. I joined AALLc because it is a dedicated community of legal professionals with many opportunities to engage in professional service and explore legal topics from an Asian and American perspective.  

2.    What do you do (hope to do) as a law librarian?
I am part of the English Faculty at Hillsborough Community College. My job as an adjunct professor is to develop the writing and research skills of my students. I hope to transfer these skills to an academic setting at a law school, where I hope to teach advanced legal research courses.

3.    What do you enjoy most about your job?
My job centers on student empowerment, mentorship, and engagement. I am a strong proponent of professional service and giving back to the community, and I want to encourage these values in my students as they transition into their professional careers. I love seeing my students opening up to the possibilities available to them, and this is what I enjoy most about empowerment and mentorship.

4.    What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
I have recently taken up walking and hiking. I am working on a challenge called “You VS the Year 2020.” The challenge is to walk at least 1,000 kilometers in 2020, and the goal is to surpass your 2020 distance in 2021. I am currently at 213 kilometers.

5.    What is your favorite travel destination in Asia or other parts of the world?
I have not had the opportunity to travel to Asia, but my goal is to visit Taiwan and Japan.