February 2018: Michelle Tsoi Murray

Michelle Murray
Research and Reference Services Librarian
Nova Southeastern University Panza Maurer Law Library

Michelle Murray staff photo

Why did you join AALLc?

I joined AALLc because I would like to meet and network with other Asian law librarians.

What do you do as a law librarian?

I provide reference assistance to law faculty, students, bar members, and community patrons.  I participate in the Faculty Liaison Program and write library guides on various law topics. Like many of my fellow librarians, I am very involved with the law school’s activities and projects.

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I enjoy interactions with the students.  In addition to teaching students how to do legal research, I acted as a coach to mentor law students to study for the bar exam, and I was a co-advisor of the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition Team.  This year, our team advanced to the quarter-final round in the Northeast Regional and took home an award for Top 5 Memorial.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

I enjoy cooking and getting together with family and friends.  I also enjoy keeping active.  I am currently in a mini-triathlon training program, and the race is scheduled for March 18.

What is your favorite travel destination (Asia or otherwise!)?

I travel mostly to Hong Kong as my family resides there.  My dream vacation is to travel to Japan to enjoy hot springs and delicious Japanese food.

Why did you accept the invitation to be profiled as AALLc's member of the month?

I hope that by being profiled in the AALLc’s member of the month, other Asian law librarians would know of me and better my chances of meeting and networking with them.