January 2016: Fang Wang

January 2016: Fang Wang

January 2016:  Fang Wang

1.    Why did you join AALLc?

I started my law librarian career in early 2009. Right after I became a member of AALL, I decided to join the Asian American Law Librarian caucus. One reason obviously is because I am of Asian descent. I wanted to meet and network with other Asian and Asian American law librarians who share similar cultural backgrounds and interests. So I thought AALLc would be a good place for me to do that. I met many wonderful colleagues over the past several years through the caucus. Some of them even became my personal friends and mentors. Secondly, I am very interested in promoting diversity and advancing Asians and Asian Americans in our profession and in the American society in general.

2.    What do you do as a law librarian?

I am currently enrolled full-time in a doctoral program in Information Studies. Prior to coming back to finish my Ph.D., I worked as a digital services librarian at Texas Tech University Law Library for four years and as a reference and special collection services librarian at St. Mary’s University Sarita Kenedy East Law Library for two and a half years. I wore many hats at both of my two professional positions. I was involved in many aspects of law library work including institutional repositories, digital projects, special collections, collection development, reference, and teaching legal research classes.

3.    What do you enjoy most about your job?
One thing I enjoyed the most was how dynamic my job was. I was able to get my feet wet on many different areas within a law library. Since both my positions were tenure track faculty positions, I also had opportunities to get involved in committee work in the law school and at the university. I discovered that I really enjoyed teaching and working with students which was part of the reasons why I decided to come back to finish my Ph.D.

4.    What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

I really enjoy traveling and road-trips. I try to go on trips whenever I can and have travelled to quite a few places by myself. I also love trying new food and writing reviews like a “critic” on some of the online reviewing sites such as Yelp. Oh, and I love fashion! I had a fashion blog for a while and wish to learn fashion design someday.

5.    What is your favorite travel destination in Asia or other parts of the world?

Well, my favorite has to be Beijing because that’s where I am originally from. I’d like to visit Thailand and Japan because I think their food is fantastic. One thing on my bucket list is to visit all 50 states. So far, I’ve been to only 18. I think a cross-country road-trip would be so cool! I also want to visit Denmark, the Netherlands, and France one day! As you can see, I love to travel!