April 2016: Jessie Tam

April 2016: Jessie Tam

April 2016:  Jessie Tam
Head of Technical Services at Maryland State Law Library

1.    Why did you join AALLc?

When I attended my first AALL conference in the late 90s, I met some Asian law librarians and learned about the caucus.  I was curious about this group and started attending its programs and activities at the conference.  It becomes an opportunity for me networking with librarians who are of Asian descent, like myself, or, who are interested in Asian culture.

2.    What do you do as a law librarian?

I am Head of Technical Services at the Maryland State Law Library.  I am responsible for the overall management of the Library’s technical services activities, including acquisitions, cataloging and serials check-in.  I also involve in collection development and management of the library’s online system.

3.    What do you enjoy most about your job?

I like the variety of works I have to do daily.  I get to interact with my staff, colleagues, vendors and publishers, but I also have the quiet time to catalog Maryland state documents, task force reports, county and municipal codes.  

4.    What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

I go to my local gym twice weekly.  I enjoy attending all sort of exercise classes with my gym mates.  I am active in my Buddhist community.  I help organize Buddhist services, meetings and other volunteer activities.

5.    What is your favorite travel destination in Asia or other parts of the world?

I grew up in Hong Kong, so this is a place I go back regularly to see family and friends.  I have been to Japan Tokyo area a couple times.  I would love to go back to visit, especially its western side like Osaka and Kyoto.