November 2015: Evelyn Ma

November 2015: Evelyn Ma

November 2015:  Evelyn Ma

1.    Why did you join AALLc?

I joined AALLc looking to make connections with other Asian American members of the law librarianship community after a nine-year hiatus from law librarianship in 2006. It is a great forum to connect with law librarians whom you may otherwise not meet.

2.    What do you do as a law librarian?

I am Reference Librarian for Foreign and International Law at the Lillian Goldman Law Library, Yale Law School, in New Haven, CT.  I participate in the reference rotation schedule; teach 1L Small Group Legal Research sessions and the foreign law component of Research Methods of Foreign and International Law course.  In addition, I select materials relating to China, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Malaysia and catalog the CJK language materials.  Committee work within the library system and outside also takes up some of my work day.

3.    What do you enjoy most about your job?

I enjoy its variety and serendipity, and that you read and learn something new every day.

4.    What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

I like hiking the trails in Connecticut shoreline and moving plants and shrubs around in my backyard. I also enjoy sewing and reading.

5.    What is your favorite travel destination in Asia or other parts of the world?

I have fond memories of touring Kyoto and Xian many years ago and would like to return some day. I also enjoy visiting Hong Kong